A record for holiday giving in One Hope United's Northern Region
One Hope United Northern Region had a record holiday of giving thanks to our fabulous donors throughout the Chicagoland area. The combined gift-in-kind value for all holiday donations was estimated at $168,000!
Here are some highlights!
- 1,757 children received gifts
- 245 families received gifts for each family member and gift cards for a holiday meal
- 140 families received Thanksgiving turkeys/hams and food
- 90 individual donors
- 63 groups (churches, schools and corporate) donated
- 13 groups conducted drives for coats, gloves, hats, toothbrushes, toothpaste, books and pajamas
- 4 holiday parties including: a Thanksgiving Day dinner for the CARE program sponsored by OHU Board member Howard Schnitzer and friends; a Christmas Eve dinner for the CARE program sponsored by the Blue Ribbon Committee Co-chair, Cindy Lusignan and friends; a holiday party for the Busy Bee Children’s Center sponsored by Wildwood Presbyterian Church; and a holiday part for the Kenwood Community Center sponsored by the OHU Auxiliary BoardStaff also distributed 129 thank you cards to donors from the families they sponsored this holiday season. One caseworker shared how a mom cried when gifts were delivered to her family. Her husband was to be laid-off at the end of December, and they had discussed not buying gifts in order to be able to cover the rent and groceries. Some memorable quotes from the client thank you cards included:
“Thank you. This is the first time Santa ever stopped at our house.”
“I can’t thank you enough for making my children’s wishes come true!”
“Thanks for giving me hope and lots of dreams!”
Pictured: Children at One Hope United’s Busy Bee Children’s Center in Waukegan received holiday gifts at a party sponsored by Wildwood Presbyterian Church, Grayslake.