History

History

Our History

One Hope United was founded as Chicago Baptist Orphanage in 1895 and Hudelson Baptist Children’s Home in 1903. The scope of services of both organizations evolved over the years, expanding to include foster care, clinical services and early childhood development. Chicago Baptist Orphanage was renamed Central Baptist Orphanage in 1899 and Central Baptist Children’s Home in 1913. 

Central Baptist and Hudelson Baptist Children’s Home entered into a management agreement in 1987, creating a historic partnership between the agencies. In 2001, we expanded our services to Florida during the state’s transition to child welfare privatization.

In 2004, we transformed into a federated partnership to reflect our position as a national organization working toward the same vision: For Every Child and Family, Life Without Limits.

In 2010, as a federation, we changed our name to One Hope United.

As One Hope United, we are uniquely positioned to advance our mission throughout our service areas by providing a diverse array of prevention, intervention and community-based support programs to vulnerable, high-risk populations, as well as education and advocacy on the local, state and national levels.