What is SPARCS?
- A psycho-educational group for teens who have scary or upsetting things happen and find it difficult to feel or act the same as before. This group helps teens learn ways to deal with difficult feelings and cope during stressful situations, as well as to learn better problem-solving and communication skills.
- Games and activities will be used to better understand the skills learned in the group.
- Food and prizes will be provided.
What does it do?
- It helps teens understand how scary or upsetting things can affect feelings, thinking, and behavior.
- Teaches ways to reduce negative behaviors, improve focus, decrease high-risk behaviors and improve relationships with others.
- It helps teens cope better during times of stress, improve self-esteem, build more supportive relationships, improve awareness, and create meaning in their lives.
- It allows teens to meet other peers who have had similar experiences.
How long will it last?
- The group runs for 16 weeks
- Each group session runs approximately 1 hour.
Who should be referred?
- Any justice involved adolescent between the ages of 12-18 who have had scary or upsetting things happen and find it difficult to feel or act the same as before.
What are “scary or upsetting things”*?
- Frightening medical experiences
- Physical and/or sexual assault
- Community violence
- Unexpected death of a loved one
- Domestic Violence*
- Natural disasters*